Friday, July 16, 2010

Now We're Cooking With Jager


Now I have been known to make some strange cookies, but I think I may have outdone my self this time. Jagermeister cookies. I got the idea when I was discussing this blog with my good friend Jeremi, and he said some thing along the lines of you should figure out something to make that has Jager in it, and since I have been on a cookie kick for a week or so, naturally my mind went here. Licorice is a very sweet and distinctive flavor, that many people don't like (me being one of them) but I must say either I did not put enough Jager in or the sugar cookies blended well with the taste. These were pretty good. Any way here is the recipe if you would like to try them.
1/2 cup Jagermeister
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
Mix the Jager, shortening, sugar, sour cream, vanilla, and eggs together. Sift in flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well. Refrigerate the dough (in the bowl no need to cover the bowl) for 45 minutes. Generously flour your counter top and roll out the dough. Cut the cookies. Bake them at 400 degrees until just barely light golden brown on the bottom, for me this was 9-10 minutes. After cookies have cooled you can frost and decorate.
And for the frosting
1/3 c. butter
3 c. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. cream or milk
3 tbsp. Jagermeister
Blend all together until smooth
Now I was not sure until i did some digging around online about the myth that alcohol is cooked off. It is just that a myth. According to a study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods, since these cookies are baked for under 10 minutes they will retain over 40% of the alcohol. And since you don't cook the frosting it will retain about 70% of the alcohol if left over night. Here is a link to where I got that info. Kind of an interesting table they had at the bottom of that page. Anyway I took these cookies to work so that my buds from 100.3 X Rock and the bands that played at work tonight could enjoy them, and I hope they did. Also any of you that read this on a regular basis might recognize the recipe today, that's right just the same one I posted earlier this week with Jager strategically inserted. Well I think I am done with cookies for a while, so check back soon and see what else I have been up to.

2 comments:

  1. Evans Blue, and Red Line Chemistry did enjoy those cookies as did I! Thanks Robin! The cookies were great, and you couldn't tell they had Jager in them until you were lying on the floor unable to move..lol! I kid...they where aweseom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J for the comment and the complement, figuring out new ways to incorporate my liquor cabinet into food right now. hahaha

    ReplyDelete